Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Lexie raised her eyebrows as if to say

Lexie raised her eyebrows as if to say,ugg bailey button triplet 1873 boots, You’ve got to be kidding.
“I don’t know,” Jeremy pondered out loud. “Maybe he doesn’t like Metallica.”
Alvin glanced at his shirt and shook his head. “Whatever,” he said.
Jeremy winked at Lexie; while she smiled in return, her expression was distant, as if her mind was elsewhere.
“The filming went great last night,” Alvin said, reaching for a menu. “Caught it all from two angles and watched it on playback last night. Amazing stuff. The networks are going to love it. Which reminds me, I’ve got to call Nate. Since he couldn’t reach you, he kept calling me all afternoon instead. I have no idea how you put up with that guy.”
When Lexie looked perplexed, Jeremy leaned toward her. “He’s talking about my agent,” he said,replica gucci bags.
“Is he coming down, too?”
“No. He’s too busy dreaming up my future career. And besides, he wouldn’t know what to do outside the city. He’s the kind of guy who thinks Central Park should be developed into condos and retail outlets.”
She flashed a quick smile.
“So what’s with you two?” Alvin demanded. “How did you meet?”
When Lexie showed no inclination to answer, Jeremy shifted in his seat.
“She’s a librarian and she’s been helping me research the story,” he said vaguely.
“And you two have been spending quite a bit of time together, huh?”
From the corner of his eye, Jeremy saw Lexie glance away.
“There’s been a lot to research,” he said.
Alvin looked at his friend, sensing that something was off. It seemed almost as if they’d had a lovers’ quarrel and gotten over it but were still licking their wounds. Which was a lot to have happen in a single morning.
“Well . . . good,” he said, deciding to drop it for now. Instead, he looked over the entries as Rachel came sauntering toward the table.
“Hey, Lex, hey, Jeremy,” she said as she approached. “Hey, Alvin.”
Alvin looked up. “Rachel!” he said.
“I thought you told me you were coming in for breakfast,cheap foamposites,” she said. “I’d just about given up on you.”
“I’m sorry about that,” he said. He glanced at Jeremy and Lexie. “I guess I slept in.”
Reaching into her apron, Rachel pulled out a small pad and retrieved the pencil she kept behind her ear. She dabbed the tip with her tongue. “Now, what can I get y’all?”
Jeremy ordered a sandwich; Alvin asked for the lobster bisque and a sandwich as well. Lexie shook her head. “I’m not that hungry,” she said. “But is Doris around,fake uggs for sale?”
“No, she didn’t come in today. She was tired and decided to take the day off. She worked late last night getting things ready for the weekend.”
Lexie tried to read her expression.
“Really, Lex,” Rachel added, her voice serious. “There’s nothing to worry about. She sounded fine on the phone.”
“Maybe I should go check on her, anyway,” Lexie said. She looked around the table for confirmation before rising. Rachel moved aside to make room.
“Would you like me to come with you?” Jeremy asked.
“No, that’s okay,” she said. “You’ve got work to do, and I’ve got things to do, too. Would you like to meet up at the library later? You wanted to finish looking through the diaries, didn’t you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment